Do you have a struggling reader who needs tips focusing on that reading homework?



Actually Learn it logo


Do you have a struggling reader who needs tips focusing on that reading homework?

by Dana (online reading tutor and educator)
[My goal is to help your student succeed and become a better reader.]

 

Here's an example from what I learned last year in the classroom. Last year I taught A Long Walk to Water and A Night Divided. Both of them were riveting novels that kept my students on their toes. Moreover, I assigned chapter homework to read like many teachers do each night. It's usually the student's job to read a certain amount of pages and annotate the text. In study hall, my students would ask me tips on how to stay on task, or I would offer these tips when I saw a student trying to focus. 

   

My first tip is to have students read a book and listen to an audiobook (or audio tool) simultaneously. A student can use extensions like Immersive Reader, Audible software, Google the chapter via YouTube, or Speechify, ReadSpeaker, Browsealoud, TalkButton, and Voice Dream Reader to name a few. There are many more text-to-speech tools on the web. You can also Google "text-to-speech readers" to find more tools like this. If students are using their phones, you can also consider CapturaTalk, Audible, and Read and Write to name a few. Some of the other apps may also work on tablets or phones. Check the App Store or Google Play. Some of these apps may be free or have free trials.  


My second tip is for students to use their fingers to follow along in the book while listening to the audiobook or audio source. The third tip is to use an index card in the book to keep the eyes focused only on that line. In addition, students can also use a guided reading strip. I have had students use both options.

 

My third and final tip is students should annotate the text and have a focus for reading. Many teachers already do this by assigning a task for reading the text to look for clues about the setting, conflict, etc. I hope some of these tips were helpful. 


Learn more about how I can help your child improve his/her reading by visiting www.actuallylearnit.com.

 

Do you have other questions about reading? Please write a comment below for ideas for my future blogs.

-Dana


Keywords: reading comprehension, staying on task, reading tricks, find tutoring help, reading help  







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How can I support my neurodiverse / special needs child this school year (2022-2023)?